A note on ticket prices
Conferences are a unique opportunity for people to exchange information with others doing similar work across geographies; share information that is hard to communicate via technology; and meet the people who will be their allies, mentors, and collaborators throughout their drug policy reform careers. Conferences, though, are an inherently privileged mode of organizing with significant barriers to attendance, particularly for young people, people who use drugs, and people who work in direct service or justice-oriented policy reform. We do everything we can to minimize costs and share content broadly, but it’s still the case that hosting a conference is tremendously expensive.
We project that it will cost $319 per person to produce Sensible2020. While that does seem like a lot of money, our prices are at or below the prices of other conferences of our size and scope. We don’t view conferences as a revenue generator — in fact, in 20 years, we’ve only “broken even” once. We work hard to bring in scholarship and sponsorship donations so we can provide as many complimentary and discounted tickets as possible to student and young adult chapter members with the points they earned in the Chapter Activity Tracker. But the fact remains that we must charge for tickets; if we didn’t, we wouldn’t be able to provide SSDPers with the year-round services that keep our network strong and active.
If you are an SSDP chapter or Alumni Association member, here are some of the ways you can get discounted or complimentary tickets:
- Get your school to fund your tickets, lodging and registration!
- Fundraise in your community and from your friends and family.
- Organize a fundraising event.
- Ask your employer to send you on their behalf. (It couldn’t hurt!)
- Use CAT points for registration and lodging (and, in some circumstances, travel assistance) if you are a chapter member.
- Register early! Prices will go up on February 7 and again on February 28. Registrations are always transferable and refundable until March 1, so if you’re on the fence, there’s no harm in getting the cheapest possible ticket now.
- Apply for any scholarships for which you are eligible.
- Purchase a sponsorship or exhibitor package that includes complimentary registration(s).
- Bring in a new, first-time corporate sponsor and we’ll award you with one free registration. Contact email@example.com if you have questions about this.
- Join the Alumni Association. We’ll send you a code for an additional $50 off. Members in good standing should have already received the code via email. If you believe you are a member in good standing but did not receive the discount code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out our “Getting to the Conference” page for more detail and tips for how to finance your trip.
If you are unemployed/underemployed, low-income, and/or deeply impacted by the virus (i.e. health care worker, direct service provider, social worker, etc.), you are eligible for a sliding scale ticket. Please contact email@example.com to receive a sliding scale access code.